Where I have been: Lack of balance has brought me 40 added pounds of weight, a loss of strength throughout my body, and a tendency to focus on the negative rather than the positive. In early 2000, I set and I achieved a goal of cycling my way through a Sonoma County 100K. But I failed in an attempt to cycle 100 miles across the San Joaquin Valley a week later. Instead of focusing on the 50 miles I did ride during that 100 degree day, I slowly turned away from my cycling and away from exercise completely. During the next 10 years, I injured myself, and discovered arthritis in my foot, a temperamental knee, and a fondness for alcohol. I moved across the country, changed jobs (3 times), and walked through some pretty intense relationship issues. Also during those years, two of my three children grew up and moved out, and a third is poised to do so next fall.
Where I am going: Armed with a new determination to regain the strength and fitness in my early 40s, I began a journey toward emotional health last year. My journey toward physical health began last week when I rejoined my gym and consulted a fitness trainer. In less than 100 days I will walking through Rome with my brother-in-law Keith, his wife Lisa, and my husband, Rob. My goals including losing 10 pounds before then and become physically stronger person. A weigh-in on Friday revealed a three-pound loss - typical in the early days to lose more first, I know. Yet, it is encouraging.
Join me on my journey. As I travel, I'll work on developing new habits while exploring my spiritual and emotional life. Like many of us, I've had a lot of false starts during my life. This time will be different. This time is for real.
I have your family on my prayer list...now I can be more specific. It is a challenge @ 50 to meet the goals and expectations that you set for yourself because your body and mind start to fail you. I have found each decade to be an improvement over the last so I'm going to believe the same about the 50's. A lot of self reflection has taken place at this time in my life. Am I where I wanted/expected to be? If not, how do I get there? God is good and will use me if I let him and I must be satisfied with that...and really...that is what really matters. God bless you!
ReplyDeleteLinda, I am so proud of you. You'll find that strength again. It's already there - if it wasn't, you wouldn't be doing this. Sending lots and lots of love to you, and I'm excited for the wonderful things you will discover on this journey!! xxxxx
ReplyDelete